The traditional approach
There are three reasons for employing a contractor to carry out maintenance on your air conditioning, process cooling, and heating plant:
- To minimise breakdowns and therefore, reduce production downtime
- To maximise energy efficiency
- To ensure compliance with environmental (and other) regulations
Air conditioning, process cooling and heating maintenance contracts are traditionally structured around a planned programme of routine maintenance, based on a number of visits per annum at a fixed annual cost.
Additional costs are incurred for repair costs, usually based on an hourly rate plus mileage. These additional costs can, in some cases, add up to more than the cost of the routine servicing.
What’s wrong with this approach?
There is no incentive for the contractor to minimise the number of breakdowns.
Too many maintenance contractors quote artificially low prices for routine maintenance because they expect to make their profit on repair work and spares.
The higher the number of breakdowns, the more profit the contractor makes!
What benefit does the client get from this?
The EMS solution
- Structure the contract to target improvements in efficiency and reductions in breakdown costs.
- Measure plant efficiency, benchmark it, report it, optimise it.
- Measure breakdown expenditure and call-outs, and include targets for reducing these.
- Include call-outs and repairs within the annual sum, even out the annual spend, and provide the contractor with the incentive of reducing breakdowns.
- Show the client benefit, not just the cost.
- These are some of the ways we encourage our clients to approach maintenance work, and we can tailor contracts to suit specific client requirements.
We offer our air conditioning, process cooling and heating services throughout central and southern England and Wales from our offices based in Hereford and Southampton. Please do contact us if you would like to find out more about how we can help you.
Receive latest industry news on compliance, legislation and other hot topics by signing up here.
What our customers are saying about us:
EMS Ltd, Unit 11, Rockfield Road Industrial Estate, Hereford HR1 2UA
Telephone: 01432 340 800
EMS Ltd, Unit 19, The Sidings, Hound Road, Netley Abbey, Southampton SO31 5QA
Telephone: 02380 458 243